Hollinswood and Randlay Parish Council now have a climate change working group in response to setting ourselves the target of being carbon neutral in 2030 and declaring a climate emergency. Over the next few weeks/months we want to share what we are doing as councillors, to reduce our carbon footprint as well as generally helping the planet. We would love to hear your ideas too!
Some ideas already started include:-
- Cutting down plastic use by using shampoo/conditioner bars.
- Reducing use of electricity by having one day a week without screens.
- Saving water by using the boiled vegetable water (once cooled) to water the garden.
- Reducing waste by taking a reusable mug to coffee shops, some even give discounts!
- Using less petrol by walking to every meeting.
- Reusing paper before it is recycled by writing my shopping list on the back of an envelope.
As a Parish Council, we are undertaking a review of all of our processes and as these are worked through will be listed here also. Currently we are assessing
- Utility usage and renewals
- Options for an electric van
- LED lighting
These are just a start and we know we have a long way to go.